CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY STRATEGY
Over the past year, CAPSA FOOD has analysed its value chain and its relationship with all the groups it interacts with in order to identify its stakeholders; in other words, the people, communities, companies and organisations whose opinion is important and who may be affected by the company’s activity.
An exercise of dialogue and actively listening to their opinions was undertaken to understand their concerns, expectations, and priorities in order to collect their suggestions to CREATE SHARED VALUE with them in carrying out the company’s activity. Breeders, customers, suppliers, consumers, public administrations, etc. participated in this dialogue.
The issues identified as relevant to stakeholders, together with the overall challenges in terms of sustainability that all companies face, as well as the specific challenges of the dairy sector, have helped CAPSA to define priority objectives on the matter of CSR. These objectives are aligned with CAPSA’S CORPORATE VISION AND VALUES, in addition to its strategic priorities, in a process involving all areas of the organisation.
The strategic framework is defined in four areas:
- SUPPORTING THE PRIMARY SECTOR AND THE RURAL WORLD.
- PROMOTING HEALTH THROUGH NUTRITION AND HEALTHY LIFESTYLE HABITS.
- PROTECTING NATURAL SPACES AND RESPECTING THE ENVIRONMENT.
- CONTINUING TO BE AN EXEMPLARY EMPLOYER.
This strategic framework enables CAPSA to contribute toward achieving some of the Global Sustainable Development Objectives adopted by the United Nations in 2015, as shown in each of the headings in this Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
With the firm commitment of maintaining its foundational objective, DEFENDING ALL NATURAL in all of its activities, throughout 2016 CAPSA has materialised its commitment with 23 all-natural principles that the company acquires with society in all these areas. BEING NATURAL, MAKING NATURAL PRODUCTS AND ACTING NATURALLY.
Because CAPSA is an association of dairy farmers, our origins and the origin of our work are never forgotten: Cows, Asturias and nature itself. The company cares for its industry and the environment with the firm commitment of offering the best milk for producing products of the highest quality.
CAPSA GUARANTEES FARM SUSTAINABILITY IN ORDER TO OFFER THE BEST MILK
- It guarantees the milk from farmers is sold to ensure the viability of their farms.
- Farmers are given training to promote their personal, professional and social development.
- Farmers are given support and advice to produce milk of the highest quality, guaranteeing food safety and respecting the environment.
CAPSA SUPPORTS FARMERS TO IMPROVE THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE
- Substitution services are offered so that livestock farmers can have days off at their farm. Everyone deserves a break.
- Ongoing technical support is provided through:
- Services related to production: Milk quality, animal health, etc.
- Services related to management: Agricultural insurance, technical/economic management, tax advice, etc.)
CAPSA DEFENDS THE LAND AND SUPPORTS PEOPLE
- More than 7,300 jobs are generated in the Spanish livestock sector
- CAPSA supports the culture, sport and customs of the Principality, supporting events and activities that take place in the region:
- Asturias Food Bank.
- Asturias Prince’s Foundation.
- Asturias sports.
CAPSA MINIMISES THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF ITS OPERATIONS AND PRODUCTION CENTRES
8. The kilometres travelled on milk collection routes are minimised in order to minimise CO2 emissions.
- Energy consumption of farms and factories is reduced.
- More than 90% of electricity is generated in high efficiency processes.
- Process wastes are transformed into biofuel, and fertilisers.
- Water consumption in processes is minimised to take care of resources.
- Processes are redesigned to reduce emissions.
Products are manufactured in such a way as to ensure the highest respect for the natural essence of milk from the north of Spain. CAPSA believes that just by respecting the natural origin of what we eat, people will have better food and better quality of life.
CAPSA’s MILK IS 100% SPANISH
- The company’s milk, butter, cream and yogurt are made thanks to the cows of our Spanish farmers.
ONLY 100% NATURAL ORIGIN INGREDIENTS ARE USED
- E’s are not added to 98% of the products placed on the market, nor are artificial additives, artificial preservatives or stabilisers. Alternatives are being worked on for the rest. CAPSA leads the industry by reinventing its essence. The company is natural at its origin and in its way of life. It is the only dairy brand that offers 100% natural products.
ALL NEW PRODUCTS WILL BE 100% NATURAL.
- The innovations on new products are made with the maxim of offering products that contain mainly natural ingredients.
CAPSA is very proud of how it is and how it shows itself to the world, as it is. This is how things are done in Asturias. We like to talk to everyone and also listen to everyone. That’s how we are and we will not change even in the media.
CAPSA IS TRANSPARENT AND SAYS THINGS AS THEY ARE
- Labels are condensed to make them clearer.
- The doors of CAPSA’s dairy are open to anyone who wants to come and know find out how the company does things. CAPSA is proud of how it does things.
- Its advertising is real and its ads show real Asturias fields, farmers and cows (no actors or fiction).
CAPSA IS COMMITTED TO DEVELOPING INITIATIVES THAT FOSTER A SOCIETY WITH MORE NATURAL AND HEALTHIER FOOD
- It teaches society the benefits of a natural and healthy diet for leading a healthy life.Healthy Food Days in Madrid in collaboration with SEFCA.
Nutrition website: lecheynutricion.es
Central Lechera Asturiana women’s race.
- CAPSA collaborates with doctors and teachers to promote the benefits of healthy eating:Complutense University of Madrid Faculty of Nutrition / Central Lechera Asturiana.Hippocrates Award.
More than 8,000 visits to doctors.
CAPSA CARES FOR THE WORKING CONDITIONS OF ITS PEOPLE TO ENSURE THE QUALITY OF EVERYTHING IT DOES: COMMITMENTS TO QUALITY EMPLOYMENT
- CAPSA offers permanent employment contracts to about 95% of its employees, providing training, professional development and quality employment (TOP EMPLOYERS 2016).
- It offers employees a healthy and safe environment to develop their work, fostering work/life balance (Healthy Company and Family-responsible Company).
NATURALLY COMMITTED TO AN ETHICAL AND RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS MODEL
In 2016, the Crime Prevention and Detection Protocol (CPD Protocol) had already been implemented; this work is being continued in all areas to foster a CULTURE OF COMPLIANCE, understood as the company’s commitment to:
Sharing, promoting and believing in developing a business culture based on ethics and honesty, seeking to create a transparent environment in which the different regulatory systems that apply to its business are integrated: